Week 2 Assignment
File systems are essential elements of an operating system. Without file systems, it would be impossible to load applications or even to store data files. Whether in the home or in the office, you must understand what it takes to manage storage devices. You should be familiar with what is necessary to prepare devices that enable users to store, manage, and retrieve files. As covered in your material for this unit, there are numerous file systems for each operating system. In other words, each operating system supports several compatible file systems.
Once you have completed your Lab tasks, prepare a document that answers the following questions. The document will be used within your organization as a training document for other information technology (IT) administrative staff:
- Outline the steps necessary to prepare a storage device for storing files.
- Identify and briefly describe the tools used to prepare a storage device for storing files.
- Explain why file systems are critical components of an operating system. What is their purpose?
- Choose one operating system of interest and provide your reasons for choosing the operating system.
- Specify the file system or file systems that would be available with that operating system.
- Describe from an administrator perspective what is necessary to prepare a storage device for access by a user.
- List a few ways that a user can utilize a file system.
Prepare a Word document of 3-4 pages. It should be professional in appearance and appropriate as a tutorial for new IT administrative staff within the organization.