Assignment 2 – The Gig Economy (220 points)
Recommend 2-3 pages
Uber is largely hailed as the advent of the gig economy, which is the idea that people will not work for any one employer, but instead will work on projects for any variety of companies desiring their services. While creating a new type of entrepreneurship for individuals, it raises a host of new legal questions for companies around the law of agency.
An investment firm has asked you to evaluate Uber’s legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
Cover page (Interoffice Memo Style)
Please note: Your answer must be based on the law, not on your feeling, biases or sympathy.
1. Summarize the main principles of agency law and the term “scope of employment.” How is this term applicable when it comes to Uber and its business and the liability for its drivers? (25%)
Foundation from reading Chapter 16 – Jennings, Marianne. (2018). Business: Its Legal, Ethical, and Global Environment (11th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
· Examine the Principals-Agent relationship in Chapter 16.
· Discuss the duties and responsibilities of a Principal and an Agent.
· Discuss the term “scope of employment.”
· Are Uber drivers Agents? If yes, why. If no, why not?
· Discuss Uber’s liability for its drivers as it relates to “scope of employment”
· Discuss relevant cases to explain agency law and “scope of employment.”
2. Recently, an Uber driver lost control and killed his passengers. The driver was drunk. Should Uber be liable for the conduct of its driver in this situation? Why or why not? Use the law of Agency to back up your argument.
· Explain the law and liability of a Principal for an Agent’s tort.
· Clearly state whether Uber should be held liable for the drunk driver. If yes, why? If no, why not?
· Uses cases in the textbook to establish the type of relationship between Uber and its drivers, and to support the conclusion of liability.
· Explain the civil remedies that the deceased passengers next-of-kin seek could seek in court against Uber.
3. Identify the steps Uber should take to limit its legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
· This is your recommendation section.
· What type of legal exposure is being limited?
· Identify legal step Uber can take to limit its legal expose.
· Think about the Principal-Agent relationship, the Employer-Employee relationship and the Independent Contactor relationship. Which relationship would limit Uber’s exposure?
· Apply cases from your textbook to support your recommendation.
Use at least two (3) quality resources in this assignment.
Quality resources are course textbook, published books, academic journal articles, and expert report. Wikipedia is not accepted.
1. Michael Harvey. 2013. The Nuts & Bolts of College Writing. p. 1. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search. ebscohost.com/login.aspx
2. William R. Stanek. 2010. Storyboarding Techniques chapter in Effective Writing for Business, College and Life. http:// libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=359141&site=e ds-live&scope=site&ebv=EB&ppid=pp_23 3.
3. Zyad Hicham. 2017. Vocabulary Growth in College-Level Students’ Narrative Writing. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/ login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edsdoj&AN=edsdoj.9b7fad40e529462bafe3a936 aaf81420&site=eds-live&scope=site
Please review how to cite your references. The following citation will not be accepted: citing a website only as: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona
Clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting requirements
Suggestion on Dos and Don’ts
· Start your Assignment early (Do not wait to start 48 hours before the Assignment is due).
· Remember to discuss, and elaborate in your paper.
· Discuss each question equally – for example do not write 2 pages for question 1, and 2 sentences for question 3.
· Your discussion should be based on your research of the law and facts.
· I recommend that you put headings in your paper, so that it is clear where the answers to each question starts and stops.
· Check your SafeAssign score.
· Ensure you submitted the correct paper.
· Use the help provided to you such as Grammarly and the online tutor.
· Review the frequently asked questions regarding assignments.
· Do not write an announcement in your paper, for example, “In this paper I will discuss the law on agency.” This may increase your SafeAssign score.
· Do not write about your personal experiences in your paper.
· Do not use irrelevant diagrams, charts or pictures in your paper.
Keep Calm and Good Luck!