Strategic Management in Tourism, Event and Sport
This is a project demonstrating your ability to conduct a prescriptive (analytical, logical, rational) planning process. Remember to provide reasons for every step
Are you using imagination instead of argument. This project requires you to learn by doing
Ambiguity and uncertainty will only reduce by doing and clarifying. At this point – you should know your organisation very well. Walk in the shoes of the CEO. What do you think your company might be considering to do next. You need to be well advanced for the Week 11 workshop. If you plan to start in week 11 you are wasting your time coming to the workshop
You can receive feedback on your progress from the teaching team. We are happy to provide plenty of feedback. Don’t wait too late
• Undertake a ‘preliminary’ analysis of the situation facing the organisation, including a SWOT
• Incorporate ‘essential scenario’ information provided below
• Present your findings to the Chief Executive Officer in a formal written report
1. The first scenario issue is to assume that Corporate Social Responsibility is an increasingly important trend and that the organisation would want to take a leadership position. The world is fast embracing new ways of doing business through the debate on climate change and saving the planet. Businesses, worldwide, are responding. In this scenario, the Board has advised the Chief Executive Officer that CSR initiatives must be optimal for the organisation but that they must adopt a CLEAR CSR leadership position relative to direct competitors. (you will thus need to undertake a Strategic Group Analysis).
2. Second, your organisation has suggested a scenario of a non-organic growth strategy for 2014-5 and beyond. Thus, maintaining the status quo or cutting back is not desired. However, the Board has left it open whether this should be a high growth strategy or something lower depending upon market conditions prevailing through 2013 and beyond. In addition, the scenario requires a growth commitment to a stronger presence in Asia. The Board has signalled that any growth must be in Asia- Pacific (includes Australia) .
3. The final scenario assumption is that your organisation has received a serious proposal from three potential partners (IMG , Village Road show and GPT). Details of all three organisations will be provided. Thus you will explore options relating to partnering one of these three organisations. That is you must evaluate non-organic growth options for each of these three organisations and select the best option
Thus you need to argue the merits of each option. You also need to show how you reduced the list of possible non-organic growth options down to the final three (for example, you could consider mergers, acquisitions, or other non-organic growth options initially). That is, you should list six reasonable options out of the large number of possible options first, briefly show how you narrowed this to the last three, and then evaluate the last three in detail.. All options must incorporate growth. Methods of growth cannot be organic. Purchase of other organizations MUST be realistic.
In week 2, internal details of three potential partner companies will be provided together with an external environmental scan. YOU DO NOT NEED TO UNDERTAKE AN EXTERNAL SCAN.
However, you do need to conduct an internal scan on YOUR organization.