Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
In Chapter 4 of the textbook, you were introduced to the concepts of “presentation of self” and “impression management.” For your assignment in this unit, you will study your digital footprint using both the micro theories of self, found in Goffman’s concepts, and the concepts found in Chapter 5.
Start by doing some research on your digital footprint. Review various websites of interest that can assist you in your assignment. One example is the Internet Society website (hint: look under the section What We Do, then Internet Technology Matters, then Privacy and Identity—listed on the left side of the screen). Then complete the assignment below:
- Discuss your social self, or how you introduce yourself in social situations, in your opening paragraph.
- Google yourself. This search will give you several arenas for your digital footprint.
- Describe the various websites you find that you could use to learn about yourself (e.g., you might see your birth record link).
- Discuss who manages these sites and thus is involved in the management of your presentation of self
- To which statuses and groups do you belong? How do these affect your digital footprint?
- In what ways can aspects of your digital footprint impact personal or professional opportunities?
- Next, open your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or other online networking site.
- In a few paragraphs, explain how you manage your self-presentation on these websites. Be sure to include information such as your statuses, roles, and identities that you present on the sites.
- Discuss why you chose to include those statuses, roles, and identities, but not others.
- Explain how social structure shapes what you reveal and what you hide about yourself.
- How does the way you are managing your self-presentation online impact your personal and professional opportunities?
NOTE: If you do not use the above-mentioned social media, interview someone who does and get their responses to questions 3a, 3b, 3c, and 3d.