All types of organizations offering human services—whether government, for-profit, nonprofit, or mixed (cross-sector)—are defined by their mission. Critical to implementing the mission is the financial or budgetary framework designed to match the goals, objectives, and tasks expected for achieving the mission.
A budget is the first major policy framework for an organization that determines what is functionally possible for the organization to operate. Budgets determine what types and numbers of personnel, travel, communications, and indirect activities (such as accounting, telecommunications, professional development, insurance, and other such organizational needs) will be possible and at what levels of magnitude. In other words, an organization is creatively energized by critical thinking and a strong mission, but it is only able to function if it has the financial resources to match the professional and technical capabilities needed to carry out the mission.
For this assignment, create a sample line-item budget for your chosen human services organization (The American Red Cross). The budget must contain, at minimum, the following elements:
- Costs of goods and services (such as telephone, software, insurance, and facilities).
- Services (such as client transportation and client meals).
- Miscellaneous support.
Write a narrative about the budget, including the following:
- Define the budget priorities in terms of a chosen organization’s mission.
- Explain the funding relationships between an organization and outside funders.
- State how the budget supports the key strengths and opportunities of a chosen organization.
- Explain how the budget reinforces the effectiveness of an organization.
- Use your readings and outside resources to justify your budget.
- Written Communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, respectful, and consistent with expectations for professional practice in human resources. Original work and critical thinking are required as well as scholarly writing. Your writing must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Length: The narrative should be roughly 750 words in length.
- Budget: Present a budget with clear content and in a professional format.
- Number of Resources: Minimum of ten resources.
- APA Guidelines: Format resources and citations according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.