Research Database and PICO (T) Question
Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
- Search for Significant Clinical Issue of rising numbers of new HIV diagnoses among African American male inmates in the Correctional Settings in a Research Database.
- Reflect on your practice (my practice is a Correctional Nurse for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Jail Medical Services Bureau).
- Formulate searchable, clinical questions in the PICO (T) format for your nursing clinical issue of rising numbers of new HIV diagnoses among African American male inmates.
EXAMPLES AND EXPLANATION IN THE NEXT FEW BULLETS BELOW:
- Use your PICO (T) elements to search for ONE research database that is relevant to your nursing clinical issue.
- The PICO (T) format is a way to develop a clinical question that lends itself to searching for evidence.
PICO (T) is an acronym for
P = Population of interest/patient;
I = Intervention of interest/indicator;
C = Comparison of interest/control;
O = Outcome of interest;
T = Time
- According to Houser (2015, p. 93), a PICO-T Question considers five determining factors of patient’s health conditions, such as following:
P – Population/patient;
I – Intervention/indicator;
C – Comparator/control;
O – Outcome;
T – Time.”