Reflection Paper : Social Class, Culture & Communication
For this paper take 3 pages to reflect on the cultural meanings and implications of ‘class,’ or socio-economic status (SES). Taking into consideration this week’s readings and viewings, as well as your own experiences, reflect on the following points:
- What do the terms generally used to describe SES (upper class/wealth, middle class, lower class/poverty) mean to you?
- How are these socio-economic differences reflected in popular knowledge, such as the examples in the viewings for this week?
- As you think about these issues within the context of the course materials, how would you relate them to your own experiences with class and socio-economic status?
- If culture is based on symbols, what are the cultural symbols associated with upper class, middle class and lower class? Provide examples that you have seen both in the class materials as well as in your own experience.
- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/nyregion/city-report-shows-a-growing-number-are-near-poverty.html?_r=0Links to an external site.