Management and Organization Theory
Planning, Organizing and Leading
The presented case study illustrates the importance of the functions of management, planning, organizing and leading. Many entrepreneurs with dreams of starting their own businesses believe that managing a business is simple. This case shows what can happen when new owners do not pay adequate attention to important components of management.
The plan is not one in which the consultant tells Joseph JacksonÂ that he should do this or do that or he needs to do this or do that but present in an action-oriented manner.Â Students are expected to make connections between the facts of the case study and concepts, theories, and ideas presented in the course material.
Required Elements to include in the Case Study:
- Students will act as the management consultant, Justin Thyme;
- Using what has been learned in the course thus far, look at every aspect of the business depicted in the case study and identify all possible issues related to planning, organizing and leading;
- Explain in detail how the identified issues have Â impacted the business;
- Students are expected to show what they have learned in the course by applying theories and concepts.Â Be sure to support your reasoning using the course readings.
- Make recommendations to Tom on how to improve the management of his small business.
Required Formatting of Case Study:
- Create a consultantâ€™s report that is double-spaced, 12-point font, and between five and six pages in length excluding the title page and reference page;
- Title page with your name, the course name, the date, and instructorâ€™s name;
- Include a reference page;
- An introductory paragraph, a summary paragraph and the use of headings are required;
- Write in the third person from the perspective of Justin Thyme;
- Use the course material to support your reasoning.Â Outside resources may be used but the main resources must come from the classroom;
- Use APA format for in-text citations and references. You are required to use the e-text and at least two academic or highly respected business publications, for a total of no less than three references. Students need to paraphrase and avoid direct quotes;
- In citing sources, the page number/paragraph of the cited source must be provided;
- Submit the paper in the Assignment Folder.
When grading the paper, the rubric will be used to determine grade. So please insure you cover everything based on the rubric.