HR Joint Venture
Paper, Order, or Assignment Requirements
M016 Individual Assignment (4000 Words)
Structure of the Assignment:-
End of Module Assignment – Evaluating an International HRM Strategy (Individual) (Unit 10)
Evaluating an International Human Resource Strategy
For this assessment you will take the role of a HR manager, taking part in an internal evaluation of your international organisation’s human resource strategy and as a result produce a recommendations report for the HR Director. Please select an appropriate MNC of your choice. Your audit is from an ‘HR’ perspective as it is likely that the business will establish a joint venture in the new market which will require some staff to be recruited locally and also the relocation of some expatriate staff from within your organisation to manage the new venture alongside those of your joint venture partner. Evaluating an International Human Resource Strategy Your report should highlight the HR functions as listed below
company name: MARS- the joint venture I choose is in Canada, if your specialized in a different country please advice me,
Your report will highlight the following HR functions:
1. Recruitment and selection
2. Training and development
3. Reward management
4. Performance Management
5. Employee Involvement
In addition the report should include:
The purpose of the report
– a brief overview of the selected sector for the last five years its developments and challenges & future needs:
-text citations, bibliography & appendices.
This assignment will assess all the learning outcomes for this module. To help you address each learning outcome a brief explanation of what your tutors will look for in your assignment accompanies each learning outcome below:
Your data response should include an analysis, using both qualitative and quantitative data, of the following:
• Key economic drivers in the host country
• A comparative analysis of HR systems globally
• Organisational issues that influence the development and implementation of HRM strategy
• Parent country issues that influence the development and implementation of HRM strategy
• Cultural issues that influence the development and implementation of HRM strategy (Cross cultural training for Expatriate and the social aspect of the host country in the pestle analysis)
Please use the following structure as a guide to the content your tutor(s) will expect to see in your assignment based on the learning outcomes being assessed.
These elements to this assignment as follows:
Executive summary – provide a brief outline of the purpose of the assignment.
introduction: a brief overview of the selected sector for the last five years its developments and challenges & future needs: such as Globalisation, recession, advanced technologies consumer behaviour had an impact on the economy in the last five years then relate it to the industry selected.
L01: Critically evaluate the international business environment in the host country (——-). You are required to present an analysis (max 600 words) using one of these models (1) PESTLE Analysis, (2) Porter’s Five forces or (3) Value Chain Analysis which will incorporate a brief overview of your chosen sector within the last five years of the sector selected. In addition a company profile of the selected company.
For this learning outcome we are asking you to provide a brief company profile of your selected company. The company can be located in any part of the world but it should be a multinational company, the purpose is to use the company as a business model for discussion. By examining the company’s profile, its aims, goals, international intentions you will be able to make a link between the HRM strategy & the overall business strategy. Establishing this link will help to identify gaps in actual employee performance over expected performance which will enable you to make your recommendations later in your report.
L.02 Evaluate the main HRM theories and models in relation to economic drivers
For this learning outcome we want you to explain the recruitment process within the company selected. You will not have access to detailed information here but by examining the company’s website including its “about us pages” “recruitment/vacancies” pages, its annual report & any other publicly available documents you should be able to gather sufficient information to identify what method of recruitment & selection the company uses ie online applications, handwritten cover letters, CV format, aptitude testing, etc. Gathering this research will help you to provide a brief explanation of its recruitment, training, reward & participation practices & strategies.
You can gain yet more information from reading any job descriptions and remuneration packages it might advertise either on its website or through recruitment agencies. When you have completed your research of the company’s recruitment process you will be able to analyse the information using HRM theories & models. Selection methods must be explained using model (Rodger’s seven point plan (1952) or Fraser’s fivefold grading (1954).Models available in Beardwell & Claydon, page 169
L3 Evaluate the effectiveness of HRM strategies in achieving the goals of employee commitment, flexibility, quality and strategic integration and the reward system management.
Drawing all the main issues and points above you will be able to present a summary of your conclusions and recommendations
L4 Analyse the differences in approach to HRM Globally and outline possible reasons for such differences.
In this learning outcome we want you to build on your research and discuss the importance of training, what types of training are available (in-house, off job training for cultural reason etc). Highlight the importance of development frameworks in the organisation selected etc. By analysing training & development strategies it should be possible to identify global differences in approaches to HRM.
L5 Critically evaluate the theory and evidence about the relationship between HRM and organisational performance
In this learning outcome we want you to focus specifically on the theory of employee participation, explain the importance of such activities in the workplace. Your analysis can then be focused specifically on the organisation for recommendation purposes
L6 Analyse the organisational, national and cultural specific issues that influence the development and implementation of HRM strategy
In this learning outcome, again building on your research, we want you to analyse the theory of reward systems the implications and the concept of performance management, including performance appraisal frameworks for the individual performance, why we need to measure individual performance and outline the reasons. Your analysis can then be focused specifically on the organisation for recommendation purposes. Moreover we are expecting that you address these characteristics:
Analyse the organisational, national and cultural specific issues that influence the development and implementation of HRM strategy:
• National: (Host country) With a focus on a polycentric approach, identify organisational issues that influence the development and implementation of HRM strategies in the host country (——). (i.e what is the general mindset and working practices in the (selected sector) and how will this impact the need to recruit local staff to undertake the required roles.
• Organisational: (Parent company) Analyse the HR duties and responsibilities of the parent company to provide appropriate expatriate welfare i.e. (1) a responsibility for the expatriate well-being, (2) provision of incentive packages for expatriates going to the host country (3) providing cultural training to familiarise the expatriate with the language & cultural norms of the host country to support the implementation of appropriate standardised training of locals.
• Cultural: Combine your analysis of the parent company & host country cultural dimensions model or to identify what working practices and mindset barriers might the parent company face in terms of recruiting and training local staff on new technologies, etc to establish an appropriate standard of work to match the parent company’s expectations.(Cross cultural training for Expatriate and the social aspect of the host country in the pestle analysis)
L7 Demonstrate the management skills required in international business to successfully engage and win support from employees at the workplace
Here we are looking to evaluate your critical writing, research skills & ability to present a coherent set of recommendations based on well researched HRM global theories & models.
On reading this briefing & learning outcomes interpretation it may seem a daunting task but if you approach your assignment in a structured manner and apply strong research and analytical skills you will be able to address all elements of the assignment with ease. Remember to use the core text book and relevant research material within the e-library