Essential Health Services
The future of public health will be shaped by the competencies of the people who work to ensure the health and safety of the population. These people will need to be leaders, and they may find support from organizations that are in place to protect the well-being of the population.
In the United States, public health functions are provided by not only the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or state and local government bodies but also by NGOs, schools, and a myriad of professional organizations and interest groups. For example, the alphabet soup of contributors to health policy development, assessment, and assurance includes:
- The National Association of City and County Health Officers (NACCHO)
- The Association of State and Territorial Health Officers (ASTHO)
- The National Association of Local Boards of Health (NALBO)
- The American Public Health Association (APHA)
- The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI)
- The Public Health Foundation (PHF)
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and Internet sources, research the 10 essential public health services. Then, respond to the following:
- Describe the mission and vision of a public health organization that you either work for or are interested in learning more about.
- Review and list the ten essential public health services.
- Does your chosen public health organization utilize the ten essential public health services?
- Provide examples of the ten essential public health services that are made available by your chosen organization to their patients. Support your answer with references.
Write a 4-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
1. Describe the mission and vision of a public health organization that you either work for or are interested in learning more about: 24
2. Analyze the extent to which the selected organization provides the ten essential public health services: 40
3. Provide examples of the ten essential public health services that are made available by your chosen organization to their patients. Support your answer with references: 16
4. Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., APA); and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation: 20