Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
Here are the following questions that need to be answered:
- According to Goodman, what was “The Woman Question”? What were some of the responses to this question and which ones did the philosophes tend to favor? Which one, if any, do you favor? Do you think there is such a thing as an essential, timeless, universal “woman's nature” or is womanliness and femininity a social construct and therefore contingent?
- Who is Rosalie Ducrollay Jullien? Describe her personal life? How does she live? Is she privileged? What is her education level and how did she receive her education?
- What does Jean Jacques Rousseau think of women's nature? Why might Rosalie Ducrollay Jullien find his perspective appealing?
- What do you think Wollstonecraft would have thought of Jullien? Given what we know Wollstonecraft thinks of most contemporary women, would she like Jullien or approve of her? Why or why not? Support your claim with evidence from the texts.
- According to Levy and Applewhite, what were some of the ways in which women who'd been denied full citizenship participated in the revolution and thereby demonstrated that they self-identified as citizens regardless of their constitutional classification?