Determinants and Prevention of Maternal and Child Mortality
Week 6 assignment scenario
Posted on: Monday, April 1, 2019 3:53:25 AM EDT
Preventive services for achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDG 3.1 and SDG3.2)
Coverage of antenatal care at least four visits and Children aged < 5 years with diarrhea receiving oral rehydration salts
Sustainable Development Goal 3(SDG 3): is aiming to ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages. Among health targets for achieving this goal, the following two targets about this assignment:
3.1 By 2030, reduce the global maternal mortality ratio to less than 70 per 100 000 live births.
3.2 By 2030, end preventable deaths of newborns and children under five years of age, with all countries aiming to reduce neonatal mortality to at least as low as 12 per 1000 live births and under-5 mortality to at least as low as 25 per 1000 live births.
In this assignment, you will compare and contrast the preventive measures of Antenatal care coverage – at least four visits (%) and Children aged < 5 years with diarrhea receiving oral rehydration salts for prevention of maternal and under-five child mortality consequently. You will analyze the most recent data for three different countries from different economic levels according to the World Bank classification as
1- Upper middle-income country: Colombia
2- Low middle-income country: Cambodia
3- Low-income country: Congo
To prepare for this assignment:
1- Review data of maternal mortality rates for the up provided countries in your scenario from World Health Organization website links, “Cause-Specific Mortality and Morbidity: Maternal Mortality Ratio Data by Country (http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.MATMORT?lang=en ) and Under-Five Child Mortality Levels: Number of Deaths (Thousands) by Country http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.ChildMort-1?lang=en
2- Go to the World Health Organization’s website link, “Health service coverage
Data by country: (http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.REPWOMEN39?lang=en ) and note the percentage of Antenatal care coverage – at least four visits (%) percentage of children under five with diarrhea receiving Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT %): (http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.38?lang=en )
3- Go to the global health observatory data of Antenatal care coverage (http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.nHE-1253?lang=en ) Care seeking for sick children (children under-five receiving ORT) http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.nHE-1596?lang=en ) note the differences in economic status, educational and place of residence among the provided countries
Review the Learning Resources provided in this week, your textbook, WHO websites and any other quality public health or academic resources and think about how the core functions of public health are related to maternal and child health. Visit the Walden writing center and review your Essential Guide to APA style for writing assistance
Your paper (5-6 pages) should cover:
A title page, in APA format.
- Section headers, in APA format, for each section below:
- Compare and contrast the most appropriate relevant and current data on maternal and under-five child mortalities in the provided countries. You are encouraged to present these data graphically (optional).
- Describe the preventive services to improve maternal and child health outcomes as they relate to this scenario, giving examples from the data sources.
- Identify the socioeconomic determinants that may influence the use of these preventive services. Interrelate the maternal and under-five child rates of each country.
- Discuss barriers and gaps in the existing preventive services in the selected countries. Identify interventions or efforts that could be in place in these countries (governmental or non-governmental) that are aiming to achieve SDG3.1 and SDG 3.2
- Cite the sources within your text and be sure to follow APA format.
- An APA formatted reference list at the end of your paper