Culture; Society, Social Interaction
Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
WHAT IS SOCIOLOGY
- the systematic study of human society
- Berger (1963) – “seeing the general in the particular”
- looking for general patterns from particular
- the general categories into which we fall shape our particular behavior
1) from book – rich women expect more from their marriages
- a) wanted men who were sensitive and shared their feelings and experiences
- b) for poor women it was enough that they aren’t drunks, had jobs, and weren’t violent
- c) people from privilege are more confident and optimistic
2) how does rich and poor affect education?
- seeing the “strange in the familiar”
- looking at a familiar pattern with “outside” eyes
- why did you choose to go here?
- how did your place in society shape that decision?
- Soc. looks at personal choice in its social context
- focuses on the influence of social relationships on individuals’ attitudes and behaviors
- focuses on how societies are established and
how they change and change us
- are any of our decisions not influenced by our
background? (name one)