Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
Assessment Task Description
This is an individual assessment task. You are required to submit a problem solving task report of approximately 2000 words as well as exhibits to support findings and a list of bibliography. This report should consist of:
- an overview of the scenario
- description of the IT security information related to the case
- list of major security problems
- analysis and presentation of solutions
- Purpose of the report – to inform and educate
- Audience for the report – yourself, a family member, a friend
The Scenario: Secure your home network from a Trojan Attack!
You are given the scenario of a hacker attempting to infiltrate your home network. They are attempting to subvert your system using a piece of malware called a Trojan. They are doing this so they can steal any information that exists, such as passwords, email correspondence and potentially using your systems as bots to conduct flooding/DDoS attacks on other systems.
“Trojans are malicious programs that perform actions that have not been authorised by the user. These actions can include:
- Deleting data
- Blocking data
- Modifying data
- Copying data
- Disrupting the performance of computers or computer networks
Unlike computer viruses and worms, Trojans are not able to self-replicate.
Write a report which proposes a feasible solution which outlines what measures you will put in place to minimize your chance of becoming victim to this hacker and the Trojan malware. This report must include:
- An overview of the scenario (15 marks)
- Refer to: “Figure 2.3 Layered Security” on slide 79 of the week 1 Lecture slides, or on page 30 of the prescribed text. Use the figure as a guide to draw a ‘basic network diagram’ of your home network using Microsoft Visio. (3 marks)
Microsoft Visio 2013 can be accessed via appsondemand.
For more information on this please go to the following page:
- Identify and label workstation(s) and other device(s) and network components on the diagram; include both wired and wireless access points and any data storage. (6 marks)
- Explain your current access control, identity verification and authentication measures you have in place to protect your network and devices. (6 marks)
- Description of the IT security information related to the case (15 marks)
- Research, cite and provide an example to describe the steps of a Trojan based attack.(5 marks)
- Research, cite and provide an example to describe the steps to minimizing avenues of a Trojan based attack. (5 marks)
- Describe the approach for both workstation/device and network level security from a Trojan based attack. (5 marks)
- List of major security problems (12 marks; 4 marks for each)
- Revisit your diagram; list 3 security problems and show these on your diagram of how the Trojan could infiltrate your network.
- Analysis and presentation of solutions (18 marks)
- Using knowledge from your investigation and practicals, describe the countermeasures that you could apply to protect your network from the 3 identified security problems. (6 marks)
Refer to: “Figure 2.1 Sample technologies in the operational model of computer security” on slide 63 of the week 1 Lecture slides, or page 20 of the prescribed text.
Using the table provided list examples of technologies that could be used to defend against the Trojan attack of your home network for the equation: Protection = Prevention + (Detection + Response). (6 marks)
Prevention + (Detection + Response)
- Identify and briefly explain one of the security principles that is essential for maintaining the security of your home network from this type of attack.(2 marks)
- Provide a summary of the approach you have taken to solve the problem of securing your home network from a Trojan Attack. (2 marks)
- What do you think you have learned from solving this problem and how will you use this new knowledge in the future? (2 marks)