Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
Clinical Scenario with structured questions: Case Study / Problem Based Learning
Please use current references. 15 references including the once below. 1400 words.
You could use first person but you might find it easier to write it in the third person. Eg: The nurse involved in this incident…
You have learned about error in health care and the implications for clinical governance in health care organisations. Many of you will be familiar with the various programs and approaches used to manage risk and respond to incidents in health care organisations.
For this assessment: Use this link to access and view this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeSvCEpg6ew
Describe a clinical situation you have experienced where there was an adverse event that resulted in a poor outcome for a patient (300 words). Please de-identify this description – do not use names of people or health care facilities. Respond to the following questions in relation to the clinical situation identified above. Use sub-headings to identify each of the questions in your response.
- Describe the short term and long term impact of this clinical situation on the staff (second victims) involved in the event, in their professional roles and personal lives.
- As an advanced practice nurse or nurse practitioner: describe the role and responsibilities of unit managers and senior clinicians who may be involved in responding to individual staff involved in an adverse event. What do these staff need in the aftermath of the event?
- As an advanced practice nurse or nurse practitioner: Consider the impact of the event on team dynamics, communication, trust and perceived competence in the context of the organisational culture at that time.
- What organisational reporting and/or investigation would be required in response to an event like this? What external reporting and/or investigation would be required in response to an event like this?
- How should health care organisations support health professionals involved in adverse events? How should these organisations support health professionals during investigations of adverse events? Is there a need for clinical supervision following an adverse event?
- How can second victims contribute to the prevention of adverse events?