Assignment 1: Discussion—Waste Reduction
Industries adopt waste minimization techniques that lead to significant resource savings and cost reductions.
This assignment emphasizes the basic concept of sustainability within business.
Research the topic of waste reduction and identify a company that has proactively reduced the waste associated with its products. You can take examples from your own work experiences or from other real-life market situations. You can also consult sources such as the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Bloomberg Markets, the Economist, US News and World Report, and the University online library resources.
Respond to the following:
- Analyze the sustainable approach to waste reduction developed by the company you selected. Include the following:
- Its products
- Previous methods of production
- The way it implemented sustainable methods
- Diversification, if any, into new products
- Your rationale for how this company still made profits
- Evaluate other businesses that might benefit from the waste reduction measures of this company.
- By Friday, September 25, 2015, post your responses in a minimum of 500 words to this Discussion Area. Support your assumptions with reputable source material.
- Through Wednesday, September 30, 2015, read and respond to at least two other classmates’ posts. While responding, consider that sustainability may mean different things to different organizations. How would the companies your classmates selected achieve their objectives concerning sustainability?
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.