Analyzing Native Language Diversity
Assignment: Analyzing Native Language Diversity
According to Nieto and Bode (2012), native-language literacy is a resource that should be cherished. They provide examples from research by:
“David Schwarzer, Alexia Haywood, and Charla Lorenzen, who suggest, for example, that teachers tap into some of the resources available in students’ native languages by creating a multiliterate learning community with the help of students, their families, elders, and other community members. Some of the ideas they suggest for doing this include:
- creating a multiliterate print environment in the classroom
- using literature in students’ native languages
- learning some key words in students’ first language
- creating audio recordings of greetings, simple conversations, songs, and stories in students’ first languages.
Using your own classroom as an example (or one in which you are familiar), design a plan of action for the your students’ environment. Using the examples listed above, write a plan for creating a multiliterate learning community. In addition to the items mentioned above, include the following in your plan:
Your reflection should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts that are presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your refelction should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
- An introduction to the research related to linguistic diversity and learning
- A description of the role families and elders play in linguistics
- A description of cultural community programs that support linguistic diversity and learning
Length: 5-7 pages not including title and reference pages.
Referenced: Minimum of 3 scholarly resources.