Instructions for this Assignment
Imagine that you have been hired by an agency to provide practical information for the natural caregivers (partners, family, friends) of someone who is suicidal. Your task is to develop an information pamphlet/booklet that will assist these caregivers to recognize suicide risks, understand basic mental health law, and identify services available in their community. If you wish, you may also tailor your information to address a particular at-risk client group (based on age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, culture/ethnicity, etc.). Keep in mind that the caregivers who read this pamphlet will have varying levels of literacy, and will benefit most from a concise, easy-to-read presentation. To prepare for this assignment, you should review the readings in Units 7 and 8, and conduct research in your community (via interviews, web searches, etc.) to determine what services and protocols are in place.
In this assignment you are encouraged to be creative in your presentation format. For example, you might use bullets, pictures, pamphlet format, PowerPoint, or Prezi. What’s important is that you provide clear, easy-to-read information geared toward caregivers which outlines the following information:
- A review of the common risk factors and warning signs of suicide
- A basic description of provincial mental health law used to ensure safety
- A summary of the emergency services and protocols available in your community/city. This should include a brief description of the services provided, internet links, applicable phone numbers, etc.
Here is a great helpful link for this assignment
Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention
This assignment will be graded based on the following criteria:
- Thorough integration of the course readings into your pamphlet
- Ability to provide a clear response to all 3 assignment components
- Presentation of information that reflects compassion and sensitivity for the intended readers (natural caregivers of someone who is suicidal)
- Accessible writing style and creativity in your presentation (direct APA referencing is not required, but please provide a reference list at the end of your document, or attach in drop-box as a separate document)